The Journey of Arbortech Woodworking Tools With Clive Firth

The Journey of Arbortech Woodworking Tools With Clive Firth
Written by Clive Firth, UK
I used to demonstrate Arbortech tools at woodworking shows. I even did a couple of shows demonstrating for Brimarc Ltd. When my ill health got the better of me I retired to Cumbria, I started the Solway Woodcarving Group in 2006. I was the only one with both hand tools and power carving tools. I have taught loads of people who thought that, they would never be able to carve. I am very proud of my group and the work that we have done in the local community raising money for many a good cause over the last eight years or so.
Here are some photos of my carvings.
The tools that we used was the Arbortech Industrial Woodcarver, the TURBO Plane to smooth out the seat and other flat areas. The original Industrial Woodcarver was also used to rough out the main shape of Neptune, to shape his hands, chest and Trident.. The Arbortech Industrial mini discs was used to cut and shape detail, i.e. fingers, finger nails, beard and the Neptune Crown with two fish.

I would like to share how the story chair came about.
My group and I were asked to build the chair for the Town’s Community Garden. At first I thought about the old stories that I was told as a child such as Jack and the Bean Stalk, Little Red Ridding Hood, etc.. but soon realised that they now deemed old fashioned. I looked at modern day stories Harry Potter, Gruffalo and others. Both avenues seemed to have limitations and did not reach over all age groups. At the time there was a lot been said to me by people who lived here all their lives about passed events and their memories. Silloth was built in Mid to Late Victorian times. There were clown and singing acts on the Green, donkeys, then more modern day and up to today there are shows and events on the Green. Everyone that spoke to me were keen to tell me of the nice, happy and fun times on The Towns Green, they all had stories to tell. So I decided to make the design to cover all those events and happy times because all had a many, many stories.

On the back the is a Big Ferris Wheel, The Happy & Sad Faces of Theatre, Music score and beer glass’s a Marquee and people outside it.
These representatives of The Fairs, the Theatre, the Music & Beer festival and the Art & Craft Shows. On the one side are the Clown of both yester year and modern years, the donkeys and the laying/planting of the Towns Green is represented by flowers. On the other side the are Kites for the Kite festival and an Old Steam tractor/Roller to represent the Vintage Steam Rally.

9 Comments

1. Aaron Nobel Author January 12, 2016 (1:45 pm)

It is an informative post.
    google.com

Reply to Aaron Nobel
  2. Dustin T Author January 13, 2016 (6:20 am)

Thank you very much for you can share your post, the article content written very well, extremely is worth my study.
    Jody

Reply to Dustin T
  3. Clive Firth Author January 22, 2018 (4:38 am)

Hi Guys
    I only just found this piece about work of my Group my work and myself.. Thank you, very much for the kind comments.

I started my Solway Woodcarving Group Cumbria on 16 th October 2006.
    When, I had to retire through ill health… I couldn’t stand it, “Retired” that, is, it was boring, yet hard work. I mean, I have never worked so hard in my life? Well so far anyway, my wife is a toughy of a Boss.

Reply to Clive Firth
  4. Clive Firth Author January 22, 2018 (5:15 am)

Further to my reply above because of the same ill health and mobility restricting issues, I only carve at the Group’s meetings, I am having to carve less by had and more by power tools, the Arbortec Mini carver and slandering discs are brilliant, I even use the mini carver on big projects as well, The Industrial blade on both the bigger angle grinder and the mini can tackle 99.9% of any of the jobs that, I may have to do, quickly and easier… I use the planning disc on Boards or flatten surfaces on box or door panels before carving…. The funny thing about me committing across discovering this article, is that, the Story Tellers Chair is back in our carving shop, For a Brush up and clean and polish sealing with oil. Everything from starting the Solway Woodcarving Group, is voluntary, I don’t teach, I encourage folk to have a go, mainly using Traditional Woodcarving tools So, I am an Encouraged (Got a Ring to it hasn’t it?… The Terminator, The Equaliser and Now we have The Encouraged!πŸ˜€

On the , Groups Projects, i e. The Story Tellers Chair (STC), The Old Bench (TOB) for the Silloth GP’s Medical Centre garden and The Firemen’s Memorial, plaque. (TFM )

Story Tellers Chair

I propose that, we give STC, Is the first to start, Tidy up Oil Finish and out the door for the New holiday season, shows and events.

The Old Bench

We have the Oak wood in-stock required for TOB. so that, can be worked on, assembled, finished in Osmo oil along side of Story Tellers Chair.

Firemen’s Memorial Plaque

After that, we should have the timber in the workshop (The back board ready assembled (bought in ready made) Along with the other boards that, will be planned and ready to carve and complete the The Firemen’s Memorial Plaque. On 10th of December 1956, four very brave men (Firemen) set out to see in a very small rowing boat on a Rescue aka a Shout.. A storm was blowing, in fact, it was the worst storm that, of any in living memory.. Sadly all for men lost their lives… From day one of starting the Solway Woodcarving Group, I have encouraged all members to take part in raising or helping to raise funds for Community Groups or help the town of Silloth and surrounding area the best we can… All the projects below fall in to that slotted, I or any of our members make one penny piece.
    If everyone does a little on each project then, they will soon be completed. All good practice, a Fun way to learn to carve and makes you feel proud because you have Help make, achieve a difference.

Reply to Clive Firth
  5. Clive Firth Author January 22, 2018 (5:49 pm)

Hi, I can not find the replies that, I left yesterday 21/01/18 ?

Reply to Clive Firth
  6. Clive Firth Author January 22, 2018 (5:51 pm)

Oops! Sorry I just found them😊

Reply to Clive Firth
  7. Clive Firth Author January 22, 2018 (7:54 pm)

Arbortech is one of no the best for getting the job done!

Reply to Clive Firth
    • Alicia Ellen Author January 23, 2018 (11:01 am)

Thanks Clive! Happy to hear that our products are helping you get you job done πŸ™‚

Reply to Alicia Ellen
      • Clive Firth Author January 24, 2018 (3:00 am)

Cheers, Alicia
        They are helping My Group and Myself, in doing our voluntary work.

Quick easy, safely Brilliant.

Reply to Clive Firth